the ongoing struggle: man vs machine
Monthly Archives: January 2014
17/01/2014Posted by on
This article will go through the simple steps required to install the ESXi Vmware tools onto a debian 7 guest.
1. The first step is to install debian’s compiling tools and kernel headers for the current running kernel.
aptitude install build-essential
aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
2. Mount the VMware tools CD by going to the guest menu and selecting “Install VMware tools”.
3. Mount the CD
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/
4. Extract the archive to the local tmp folder.
tar xfzv /mnt/VMwareTools-9.0.5-1065307.tar.gz –C /tmp
5. Change to the extracted directory
6. Run the script to build the needed kernel modules.
7. The script will ask you various questions as the install progresses. Just press enter to accept the default choices, unless you desire to change it.
8. Reboot the virtual machine and check that the vmware tools are now listed as running by vmware.